Also Known as: The White King, The Stubborn, "F", The Rogue God, Shadow Noah
Vessel: Noah Maxwell
Firebrand is a former member of the Collective. He seems to be trying to help Noah, but it has not been made clear how much control he has, as he is in the Collective realm and is possibly being used by the Administrator. It was revealed in DEUS EX MACHINA that Firebrand is no longer part of the Collective, and that he was saved by a "loathsome entity with mutual interests", referring to HABIT of the EverymanHYBRID series.
Firebrand uses the OCR-A font in the messages he sends to Noah.
- He places a hidden frame at the end of "The Unboxing". The frame says "He knows what I have done"
- He appears in the Collective group shot in "HAPPYBIRTHDAY".
- He appears beside Noah's bed as he is sleeping, gathered from Noah's Formspring.
- In "November 11th", he appears in the doorway of Noah's hotel room just before the Administrator drags him out of frame. He then appears in the Observer's message to Noah as he is "taken", and has a closeup shot in the last frame of the video.
- He appears on Noah's Twitter as the White King chess piece, and a Twitpic of him is also provided.
- He prevents Noah from being taken on November 11th, 2012, during "The Live Stream Incident". As the Observer tries to take Noah to the realm of the Collective, Firebrand diverts him into the past, first to his own closet on the night he found the Observer's surveillance device, and then outside the hotel room during the events of the November 11th video.
- He interrupts the Observer in the video "INTERCEPTION" in order to tell Noah that he is fighting for him, and provides additional information about the journal before being patched out by the Observer.
- He hacks into Noah's YouTube account and uploads a video titled "DEUS EX MACHINA", in which he is seen seated at a table in various locations, and saving someone from a burning building.
- He states in a tweet from Noah's account that the briefcase shown in DEUS EX MACHINA is "in transit."
- He appears at the end of Extraordinary Circumstances to tell Noah that sending the briefcase "wasn't easy", and in the video's final frame, instructs Noah not to spend all the money.
- He wishes Noah a happy birthday over Twitter on November 11th, 2013. He also takes the opportunity to warn Noah that he may not be able to help for much longer, as the Administrator is aware of and unhappy with Firebrand's actions.
- He appears in a hidden frame at the end of Case Findings to inform Noah that "answers are coming".
- In Milo's Tape, he delivers the briefcase (at this point only containing the money and a gun) to Milo/Mr. Scars, so that he in turn can deliver it to present-day Noah.
- He tells Noah via Twitter that HABIT will be coming to visit and will be giving him valuable information, and tells him to be wary, as he is "a dangerous one."
- During Bridge to Nowhere, he sends Noah text messages telling him to 'find the bridge' 'before they do'.
- He may be responsible for the Vine account linked to Noah's Twitter, and the fortune cookies left around his house.
- He is seen saving Noah from the Administrator during Fortunes.
- He appears in the video DEATHTRAPEXODUS, informing Noah of future events. He also explains some additional things about the Collective before being cut off by the Observer.
- He leaves Noah a hidden message at the end of Crawlspace, informing him that "the night had only just begun."
- He posts an image on Noah's Twitter titled "Ashes. Ashes.", displaying an extremely tall version of the tower from the Victor Park nature trail with what looks like a person falling from it, along with the words "We all fall down." This is later revealed to be foreshadowing the video Pitfall, specifically when Noah falls from the tower.
- Left a message for the viewers in SCRINIARII, telling them to "find the archives".
- He tells Noah through a series of images on Twitter to upload the next video, and then gives Noah his camera back after Noah throws it in a canal, informing him that he is neglecting his documenting duties.
- In Milo's journal entry "jumanji", Firebrand visits a young Milo Asher in the middle of the night, where he tells him that he will need to help Noah. He gives Milo the numbers "5, 12, and 30" to memorize, and wards off the Administrator from him.
- He insults Noah and urges him to upload the next video over Twitter.
- In Milo's entry "summoning" Firebrand communicates with Milo through a self-made Oujia board, telling Milo about Mary's attempt to kill the Maxwell family and Robert Asher through arson, that Robert is with the Order, and that Kevin has been "collected". He then warns Milo that Mary is coming.
- In Facade, Firebrand leaves a voice message telling Noah how to escape the "dollhouse" he trapped himself in, and how to deal with Kevin.
- Firebrand is revealed to be Noah Maxwell (from the future or an alternate timeline) in The Live Stream Incident.
- Firebrand is shown with intense facial scarring in the final frame of "The Live Stream Incident". The reason behind this could be that, in Firebrand's original timeline, Noah was unable to escape/was not mysteriously rescued from the fire that destroyed his childhood home. In "DEUS EX MACHINA", Firebrand is seen carrying someone, most likely a young Noah, from a burning house. If the person being carried is in fact Noah as a child, then saving him from the fire would prevent Firebrand's disfigurement from ever occurring. This could be why he is shown without the scars in his more recent appearances. Although, it's confirmed by Adam Rosner that this is just a fan theory.
- It seems odd that Firebrand would be the one to give Milo/Mr. Scars the gun he would eventually use to kill Mary Asher. One would think that, since he was already trying to change the past for the better, he would try to prevent his friend from being forced to commit matricide. Does Firebrand, at this point, still have some responsibilities to the Collective? Was Mary's death, and probable transformation into a Collective Member, some kind of inevitable event that absolutely had to occur, no matter what? Or does her death and subsequent conversion actually benefit Firebrand in some way? It may be that Cursor, like Mr. Scars, turns out to be a Member who, while unable to free herself from servitude, is willing to assist Firebrand as he works against the Administrator.
- Some people believe that there is a possibility that, like the Observer, Firebrand is having a moment where he is fighting off whatever is controlling his vessel and in doing so, had lapses of being good and bad. Also, there is a belief that there are two realities clashing, since Noah wasn't burned and made into the first reality's Firebrand (the one seen in the final frame of "The Live Stream Incident") and so then basically, we are now observing the second reality where this Firebrand has no scarring, since Firebrand saved Noah, and now the Collective is trying to put things back to place.
- Both Firebrand and the Collective want Noah with Sebastian's journal, but each for their own plans. We can see this when Noah lost Milo's journal on the Boardwalk in "Crawlspace". Both Firebrand and the Collective gave a push to Noah to get back Milo's journal, read it and make his path to Sebastian's journal. But by their nature, they do it in a enigmatic way that sometimes scares Noah, even if Firebrand has good intentions and even if is necessary to give Noah a "lesson" or, as the Observer said, 'teach him' the hard way. After all, Firebrand is not totally Noah anymore.